Native Waters on Arid Lands is excited to announce that this year’s Tribal Summit will include Youth Day, a day in which tribal youth are invited to the Desert Research Institute in Reno, Nev. to participate in hands-on science activities with DRI researchers and learn about careers in the sciences. Youth Day will take place on November 13, 2017, from 10am to 2:30pm.
Youth Day Agenda
- Session 1: Truckee Meadows land, water and people – A hike with DRI experts to learn about how land, water and people have shaped the Truckee Meadows (with Amanda Keen-Zebert and Teresa Wriston)
- Session 2: Climate – “The Real Deal” – Interactive session of climate Q&A debunking myths and legends about climate change, and decoding climate information (with Christine Albano, Dan McEvoy and Tamara Wall)
- Lunch (provided) – STEM pipeline discussion. Roundtable discussion of opportunities after high school (with Steven Chischilly, Virgil DuPuis, Helen Fillmore)
- Session 3: Playing with your food – Experiences from the Pueblo Farming Project and extracting DNA from a banana (with Kyle Bocinsky, Zoe Harrold and Lucas Bishop)
- Session 4: Force of Water – Hands-on activities related to flooding and adaptation from the Force of Water Green Box (with Science Alive staff Mackenzie Peterson and Leah Madison)
Youth Day will be held at the Desert Research Institute, 2215 Raggio Parkway, Reno. For more information about this event, please contact Meghan Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org.