Native Waters on Arid Lands is pleased to announce that this year’s Tribal Summit will include Youth Day, a day in which tribal youth are invited to the Desert Research Institute in Reno, Nev. to participate in hands-on science activities with DRI researchers and learn about careers in the sciences. Youth Day will take place on November 13, 2017, from 10am to 2:30pm.
Youth Day Agenda
- Session 1: Truckee Meadows land, water and people – A hike with DRI experts to learn about how land, water and people have shaped the Truckee Meadows (with Amanda Keen-Zebert and Teresa Wriston)
- Session 2: Climate – “The Real Deal” – Interactive session of climate Q&A debunking myths and legends about climate change, and decoding climate information (with Christine Albano, Dan McEvoy and Tamara Wall)
- Lunch (provided) – STEM pipeline discussion. Roundtable discussion of opportunities after high school (with Steven Chischilly, Virgil DuPuis, Helen Fillmore)
- Session 3: Playing with your food – Experiences from the Pueblo Farming Project and extracting DNA from a banana (with Kyle Bocinsky, Zoe Harrold and Lucas Bishop)
- Session 4: Force of Water – Hands-on activities related to flooding and adaptation from the Force of Water Green Box (with Science Alive staff Mackenzie Peterson and Leah Madison)